This recipe for cannelloni with cod and pepperoni smells like family dishes that we love to share. The pepperoni enhances the taste of the fish and counterbalances the roundness of the stuffing. Your papillae will love it!
If you have problems at home to make people eat fish, this recipe is ideal. The fish is invisible and its flavor mixes with the rest of the ingredients.
Make no mistake, the surf & turf association between cod and pepperoni work perfectly.
Cod is a fish with little flavor, so you have to find a trick to spice it up.
Pepperoni is the perfect solution. Of course, it's all a question of proportion. You don't want it to carry everything away either.
What do you use in stuffing?
Stuffing is very important in this recipe. Indeed, too dry the dish will be thick and unpleasant to eat. Too liquid and you end up with pasta on one side and a stuffing sauce mixture on the other.
To avoid this, here is what I advise you to use as ingredients:
- ricotta cheese
- a lemon juice
This way your stuffing will hold during cooking and will not be too dry thanks to the humidity of the fish and ricotta
Is that all?
No, you're right. Once your cannelloni is ready, you add tomato sauce on top.
In the pictures I used homemade tomato sauce, but if you don't have any, you can use a ready-made tomato sauce or even better, make one with tomato puree.
You finish by grating some pecorino romano on your dish.
I don't have time to make the pasta
Then in this case, I advise you to use either :
- dry cannelloni that you stuff
- fresh lasagna that you will roll into a tube
This will save you time. For the homemade pasta, you will make it during the next vacations.
- Cut the cod in cube of about 0.5cm side
- You can use chorizo instead of pepperoni, it works great.
- Do not hesitate to add fresh herbs to your stuffing, basil, chives, parsley, chervil. They will bring a very pleasant herbaceous note.
- If your stuffing is too dry, relax it with some ricotta water. Nothing is lost.
- You can add candied tomato to the stuffing, having taken care to chop it.
- If you prefer to make them with meat, then don't hesitate to stuff them with Neapolitan Ragù.